For activities honoring U.S. Veteran click on
http://chinadigitaltimes.net/2009/04/china-car-market-raring-to-go-at-shanghai-auto-show, read below about the Shanghai China Auto show...
Vice President Joeseph Biden gives a speech in Michigan, to see click on
http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2011/10/14/vice-president-joe-biden-discusses-american-jobs-act-flint-michigan; for the latest job figures click on
USA Asia pivot by President Obama continues with a visit to the leader of South Korea
click on http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2013/05/07/president-obama-meets-president-park-south-korea for video. While on the other side of the world Isra-el bombs Syria http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-05-05/world/39048358_1_israeli-warplanes-israeli-attack-israeli-military-spokeswoman; causing U.S. Generals at the Pentagon to make war planning scenarios http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/04/world/meast/us-syria-obama; just in case while Secretary of State John Kerry negotiates with Russia.
person, speaking of education U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan visited Michigan classrooms recently with the Governor Snyder of Michigan; click below for
more info http://photos.mlive.com/detroit/2013/05/us_secretary_of_education_arne_19.html.
In start up tech news T-Mobile http://www.t-mobile.com merges with Metro PCs http://www.metropcs.com/metro and there is a new Sheriff in town at the FCC http://www.pcworld.com/article/2037001/obama-nominates-wheeler-as-new-fcc-chairman.html, and he is from the Venture Capital world.
U.S. President Obama: "The Lord giveth not the Spirit of Fear.."
U.S. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
In other education news The New York Times has a story Colleges Adapt Online Courses To Ease Burden http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/30/education/colleges-adapt-online-courses-to-ease-burden.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 that describes online learning, the book Training Today's Youth for Tomorrow's Technology (www.amazon.com in U.S. www.amazon.co.uk in the United Kingdom) calls it e-learning - this is a trend you must know about that is making big changes
in K-12 and University/College education in the U.S. and abroad.
The Texas explosion is under investigation by ATF http://www.atf.gov. A speech commemorating the
victims of the Boston incident and on the character of the USA http://www.whitehouse.gov.
John F. Kerry as the U.S. Secretary of State http://www.state.gov/secretary is helping to implement President Obama's U.S. Foreign policy with a formal diplomatic declaration to China on cybersecurity; and China appears to be receptive to forming a working group on cybersecurity according to the Wall Street Journal. For more info click on http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324345804578424741315433114.html. Out of the tragedy of Boston may come a greater partnership between the USA and China as an innocent Chinese scholar studying in the USA was a victim http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/17/17791805-outpouring-of-grief-for-third-boston-victim-chinese-university-student?lite of the bombing along with a fallen officer of Boston's Finest http://web.mit.edu/cp/www along with other victims; remember them in your prayers.
Also...Explosion in Texas - read further down for a picture and more details..
NFL Draft 2013 to watch it
just click on http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/25/4246548/nfl-draft-2013-live-stream-watch-online-thursday-round-1.
Major League Baseball 2013 http://mlb.mlb.com/home in full swing
To see how Jackie Roosevelt Robinson, a US Veteran, and a scholar from UCLA http://www.ucla.edu
made baseball truly America's game click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9RHqdZDCF0 and go see the movie 42.
Shane Battier of NBA Champion Miami Heat used to go to Detroit Country Day in the
State of Michigan, he has won on the High School, College http://www.ncaa.com and NBA levels. In more Detroit and Michigan news; The new international bridge between Detroit and Windsor Ontario Canada has been approved
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/story/2013/04/12/wdr-dric-presidential-permit-windsor-detroit-rick-snyder-michigan.html and the M1 Light Rail http://www.m-1rail.com project has started construction which
will create new jobs on both sides of the bridge and help the economy of the State of Michigan, the entire United States of America, and globally.
For more info on IBM click on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39jtNUGgmd4.
Mainframes computers are used for mission critical (life or death) tasks, and one can be pretty sure a mainframe computer capable of searching through hours of video, social media, and photographic data warehouses along with traditional databases ( DB/2 http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/db2/, Oracle http://www.oracle.com/index.html, Microsoft SQL http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/default.aspx, My SQL http://www.oracle.com/webapps/dialogue/ns/dlgwelcome.jsp?p_ext=Y&p_dlg_id=13471329&src=7865931&Act=4&sckw=WWMK13040420MPP001,
and Hadoop http://try.treasure-data.com/big-data-warehouse-hadoop-as-a-service/?gclid=CPmm2uXK2bYCFTSVMgodbzQAGw) were being used in the hunt for the 2 suspected Boston, MA bombers in the U.S. and abroad with organizations such as Interpol. The investigative team is taking the right approach by making no assumptions because of the chance of it being what is called a a lone wolf attack as described in a security assessment by the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security http://www.dhs.gov/janet-napolitano that was villfied at the time but the has proved to be prescient. The Boston Bomber manhunt is the type of big data problem described by Virginia Rometty, for more info on Big Data problems click on http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/03/08/ibm-ceo-rometty-says-big-data-is-the-next-great-natural-resource.html, and http://www.mckinsey.com/insights. For more information on mainframes and database technology check out www.ibm.com, http://www.wallstreetandtech.com, www.baselinemag.com, and http://www.securitysales.com/interstitial/global.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fdefault.aspx. To get a good idea of the video surveillance in Boston, MA a good DVD to watch is The Departed staring Leonardo DeCaprio, Martin Sheen, and Jack Nicholson for more info click on
In other cyber warfare/ IT news employees who work for some financial firms may have to soon watch their posts on webs because of FINRA http://www.finra.org. The CPA (Certified Public Accountant) Greg Frazier has invented a health care software application on the Microsoft Azure http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us cloud platform for more info click on http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20130414/NEWS/304149999/business-diary click on http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323551004578436713224083592.html. To go
straight to Mr. Frazier's homepage click on http://www.gfcpa.com.
USA Today reported in the article Photos Launch Digital Manhunt www.usatoday.com about the search and the Toledo Blade has reported that there appears to be a match of one of the suspects on a Russian Social Media web site http://www.toledoblade.com/City-Desk/2013/04/19/Suspect-s-social-media-page-appears-to-boast-of-the-bombing.html. Russia has long asked for cooperation on help with Cheken terrorists in Russia - see George Tenet's book At the Center of the Storm www.amazon.com; in case it turns out this is the background of the Boston bombers they may finally get it; for a primer on the Cheken region of Russia click on http://nsnetwork.org/nsn-special-update-chechnya-dagestan-kazakhstan-and-kyrgyzstan-a-primer.
Explosion in Texas
http://www.google.com/glass/start and Yahoo www.yahoo.com
acquires Sumly http://summly.com/#. Yahoo CEO Marissa Meyer made a great move to acquire Summly and it's high school founder Nick D'Alosio because you will see more innovation coming from high school kids as they learn more about IP, and this is one of the reasons Training Today's Youth for Tomorrow's Technology (www.amazon.co.uk in the UK where Summly is based and www.amazon.com in the U.S.) was written; to help high school as well as college students better understand the importance of copyrights, trademarks, patents and other IP.
As the company predicted Facebook released the Facebook Phone
To find out more about the company predictions and start up companies buy
Training Today's Youth for Tomorrow's Technology
www.amazon.com in the U.S. www.amazon.co.uk in the United Kingdom
to subscribe to our cyber warfare list scroll below, type in your e-mail where it says follow by e-mail and click on submit. The Now Revolution by Jay Baer and Amber Naslund www.amazon.com is an excellent book to read on Facebook, along with other Social Media so that your start up can take advantage of social media to grow your business. Google Ventures http://www.googleventures.com is also a great place to
check for information for a start up company.
For the company Facebook Page click on
Speaking of the nation still being at war an excellent article is NYSE Revamps Disaster Plan http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324582804578348630869906660.html in the Wall Street Journal. To learn how President Obama and VP Joe Biden plan to add diversity
For help finding where to plug up or gas up click on http://apps.usa.gov/alternative-fuel-locator.shtml for your extended range, hybrid or all electric car you can dowload this application to your smart phone.
Some GM employees leaked some info to the local press in Detroit, and it was reported after the leak that the GM CEO called it "treason", the reporting paper took it lightly in the way they wrote the article, but the paper and the employee who leaked it should remember the crash of 2008 and know the competition is not taking any prisoners. The update will include the currencies (for example the BOJ may conduct transactions with the Japanese Yen to make Japanese cars more competitive in price compared to the U.S. Dollar, for more info click on http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444657804578050272823943876.html) used in the auto industry, political aspects, the names of the leaders of the companies as well as automotive technologies (aka as telematics) such as OnStar https://www.onstar.com/web/portal/home?seo=goo_|_GM+OnStar_|_RTN-OnStar-Phrase_|_OnStar_|_onstar and the Cadillac User Experience (CUE) software http://www.cadillac.com/cadillac-cue.html. For more info on the auto industry check out the Geneva Auto Show 2013 http://www.salon-auto.ch/en and Auto Spies http://www.autospies.com. Also the countdown has begun for the Chevrolet Grand Prix, click on http://www.detroitgp.com, to buy tickets or for more info. Chevy offers new
college graduates a chance to win a new Chevrolet,
click on https://www.chevrolet.com/college-graduates-sweepstakes.html.
for more info click on http://www.ford.com/technology/sync
Looking for job in the State of Michigan? Click on http://www.michigan.gov. Also in downtown Detroit, Michigan on 3/17/2013 was The Showdown in Motown http://www.allstarchallenge.com/event/43 cheer competiton at
Cobo Hall http://www.cobocenter.com/events. Also at Cobo Hall is
Governor Snyder's State of Michigan Economic Summit, for info
click on http://www.michigan.gov/snyder/0,4668,7-277--297359--,00.html
Lou Gerstner, Samuel Palmisano along with the rest of the team at IBM brought IBM back from the brink back in the 1990s,
read Lou Gerstner's book on Amazon www.amazon.com to find out how. To find out how Sam
took the CEO baton and ran with it click on http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/03/04/ibms-sam-palmisano-a-super-second-act, (he also had a musical connection with MoTown Records from when he played sax in a band, who knew?) and he has recently handed off the CEO baton to Virginia Rometty; to find out what IBM is up to now click on www.ibm.com. To read about
the man who brought IBM to the brink back then, read The Road Ahead www.amazon.com, and read Gerstner's book Who Says Elephants Can't Dance www.amazon.com. The Road Ahead predicts a company like Facebook, which Microsoft owns a part of, and Gerstner's book gives one a great view on the competitive environment in IT, then, today and into the future.....
Syria: UK and France poised to enter the Fray
Gazprom http://www.gazprom.com; a Russian gas company has offered Cypress a financial lifeline to stave off a financial crisis for more info click on http://greece.greekreporter.com/2013/03/18/gazprom-offers-cyprus-restructuring-deal-to-avoid-eu-bailout. Cypress is an Island split between the Greeks and the Turks; both Greek and Turks on the island are called Cypriots.
South Korea hit by Hackers: for more info click on
Training Today's Youth for Tomorrow's Technology
CISPA legislation http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9236773/Obama_executive_order_redefines_critical_infrastructure
For more news on cyber security click on http://nsnetwork.org/progress-and-challenges-on-cybersecurity. When IBM (along with Netscape anybody remember the company?)set off the internet stampede with it's famous e-business ads http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LkQrtCIFA4 they set the stage for President Obama's legislation on CIPSA (Cyber Information Sharing Protection Act). In case you are an executive who thinks this legislation in not needed click on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tJH5MVRe2U. There is another excellent article on cyber security from Government Executive magazine, just click on http://cdn.govexec.com/interstitial.html?rf=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.govexec.com%2Fmagazine%2Ffeatures%2F2013%2F02%2Fcarhacking%2F60957%2F%23.USPDAol3M5I.email. An excellent conference on cyber security was sponsored by RSA http://www.rsaconference.com/events/2013/usa in March, another excellent conference sponsored by IDGA can be seen by clicking on http://www.intelligencesharingsummit.com/Event.aspx?id=661350. For info on the coming modern transportation system (it is international) click on http://www.itsa.org. For a quick video on technology for the last century click on
In other important news President Obama gave his State of the Union Speech http://www.whitehouse.gov/state-of-the-union-2013. The USA has made a lot of progress, but there is still a long way to go and more tax revenue is needed to head off uneeded pain for our fellow citizens and citizen/soldiers who are coming home from hard fought wars and a politcal peace they earned with blood; speaking of which President Obama awarded Clinton Romesha; a retired U.S. Army http://www.army.mil staff sergeant the medal of valor in the face of daunting odds, for more info click on http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/12/us/politics/obama-awards-medal-of-honor-to-clinton-romesha.html?_r=0. Revenue increases are also needed just in case war breaks out with Iran (Iranian General is Killed in Syria http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324162304578302530164834200.html?mod=googlenews_wsj) , though hopefully President Obama's policies implemented by the new U.S. Secretary of State http://www.state.gov/secretary John Kerry will prevail with a peaceful outcome.
In other U.S. Presidential news http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2013/02/05/president-obama-makes-statement-sequester (some food for thought, the Sequester would be a lot worse if General Petraeus had managed to drag the U.S. into a war on Syria with a plan to arm the Syrian rebels on the eve of the U.S. Presidential 2012 election; sound incredible? click on http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/pentagon-leaders-said-they-favored-arming-syrian-rebels/2013/02/07/aff3e10c-715a-11e2-b5f8-9a5465abcc30_story.html?hpid=z4 and read it for yourself. General Petraeus along with former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton endorsed arms shipments for the Syrian rebels; The President refused and it was once again a great judgement for these reasons: The recent bombing of Syria by Isra-el could have dragged the U.S. into war not only with Syria if the U.S. was directly arming the opposition in Syria but with Iran as well. Instead there are multi-lateral talks ongoing with Iran and the Iran Deadlock appears to be broken http://nsnetwork.org/iran-deadlock-broken; the new U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry may be able to negotiate a peace with the factions in Syria and most importantly the U.S. economy keeps getting stronger with Fortune 500 companies such as GE (General Electric) www.ge.com bringing work back home to the U.S. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324906004578288373219034986.html: Thanks to GE President Jeff Imelt for being a good corporate citizen in bringing work back to the U.S. and making a good business decision. Speaking of another General; General Motors CFO Dan Ammann is the cover boy for CFO magazine www.cfo.com; I will cite the article covering Dan Ammann http://www3.cfo.com/article/2013/2/profiles_general-motors-cfo-daniel-ammann-finance?currpage=5, one from the Harvard Business Review and one from a college textbook in the company's upcoming economic analysis of the international auto industry.
www.gm.com Pontiac Solstice
For CEOs, and CFOs scroll down to our Financial news section for important info on changing U.S.A and EU http://europa.eu/index_en.htm financial standards. In more Iran and cyber security related news Iran did manage to take control of a U.S. drone as the company cybersecurity list suspected in an earlier post and landed it. For more more info on the incident scroll below to our world wide cyber security incident list below.
Afghanistan http://www.pajhwok.com India http://www.mumbaimirror.com
Pakistan http://jang.com.pk Syria http://sana.sy/index_eng.html
http://www.ebony.com http://www.nytimes.com http://www.blackenterprise.com http://www.economist.com http://www.thebanker.com
- Think and Grow Rich by Napolean Hill www.amazon.com
- Think and Grow Rich: A Black Choice by Dennis Kimbro www.amazon.com
- Se Habla Dinero by Lynn Jimenez www.amazon.com a book in Spanish and English on understanding money $$$$ www.amazon.com.
- The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother whose theme is extremism in raising your kids with high personal and academic standards is a virture, not a vice www.amazon.com by Amy Chua
Google Science Fair - https://www.googlesciencefair.com/#!/en/2013/ open to kids 13-18 yrs old from around the globe; For parents and teachers who want know the rules click on https://www.googlesciencefair.com/#!/en/2013/parents-teachers. Speaking of around the globe..
President Obama wants more science teachers for more info click on
A new entrant in the educational e-book race is the Amplify e-reader. My advice if they were to be a corporate sponsor (hint, hint) for the company blog and/or the revised version of Training Today's Youth for Tomorrow's Technology would be to focus on business education; using content from the Wall Street Journal, get a foot hold at a school and branch out from there. To contact the company about being a corporate sponsor just send a message to the company on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Maximillian-Bryan-Marcell-Technologies-Internationale-LLC/140988465978339 or LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/company/2727019?trk=tyah.
auto show, for the Chicago 2013 auto show click on http://www.chicagoautoshow.com/default.aspx, and for the Geneva Switzerland Auto Show 2013 click on http://www.salon-auto.ch/en.
http://www.audiusa.com/com/brand/en.html - read further below for the NAIAS (Detroit) 2013 Auto Show...
Gillian Tett of the Financial Times http://www.ft.com/home/uk writes about breaking the silence and danger of cyber warfare in the article Time to Break the Wall of Silence on Escalating Cyber Attacks https://www.fidelity.co.uk/investor/news-insights/expert-opinions/details.page?whereParameter=gillian-tett/escalating-cyber-attacks in the 1/25/2013 edition of the FT. Speaking of finance and cyber attacks the U.S. Federal Reserve Bank according to media reports has been hacked, check out our world wide cyber warfare incident list below.
G20 http://www.g20.org meets in Russia http://www.state.gov/p/eur/ci/rs for more info click on http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/02/15/3236117/us-futures-down-as-g20-meet-in.html.
Venture Capital News
Reid Hoffman the venture capitalist (Greylock Partners) who invested in LinkedIn www.linkedin.com drops pearls of wisdom on the importance of networking http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130130215042-1213-connect-to-human-networks-to-find-breakout-opportunities?trk=mp-details-rr-rmpost. In other vc news the article Helping Start Ups with Local Support and National Networks http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/02/07/helping-start-ups-with-local-support-and-national-networks by Sarah Max of the New York Times is an excellent article to check out, for info on Michigan's start up community click on https://twitter.com/StartupMI.
For cyber security info besides subscribing to our blog by putting in your e-mail below to the right, you may also want to check out Microsoft's Security blog and Newsletter http://blogs.technet.com/b/security/archive/2012/12/13/using-the-past-to-predict-the-future-top-5-threat-predictions-for-2013.aspx and for enterprise security few are better than IBM www.ibm.com and a new expert I have recently found is Mr. Brian Krebs, his blog can be found at http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/02/flaw-flood-busts-bug-bank. Speaking of Tech news, some excellent tech/start up company tech news about Detroit, Michigan can be read by clicking on http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130204/OPINION01/302040304#ixzz2JvqGzM4B this news is by the current WSU (Wayne State University www.wayne.edu) President and former CFO of Ford www.ford.com President Gilmour along with the Presidents of the University of Michigan http://www.umich.edu (modeled on the French university Ecole Polytechnique http://www.polytechnique.edu) and Michigan State University http://www.msu.edu. The links between cyber security, hackers, and start up companies/venture capital are the following; Uber hacker Jack Dorsey of Twitter www.twitter.com fame got one his first jobs when he pointed out a security hole to a CEO and many others similar stories with one of the top executives of Facebook www.facebook.com now with Spotify showing up on the FBI;s www.fbi.gov radar screen before he decided to use his powers for good and not evil. For more cybersecurity tips/news Google www.google.com weighs in on http://www.youtube.com/user/googleprivacy.
For tips on technology and venture capital buy...
Training Today's Youth for Tomorow's Technology
www.amazon.com in the U.S. $30.00 www.amazon.co.uk ₤15 pounds in the UK or Europe. Two other excellent books on venture capital/start up companies are Venture Capital and the Changing World of Entrepreneurship www.amazon.com at $122.54 by John E. Butler, Andy Lockett along with Deniz Ucbasaran and Venture Capital and the Finance of Innovation at $39.99 by Andrew Metrick (Yale http://www.yale.edu) and Ayako Ysuda (UC Davis http://gsm.ucdavis.edu). The first book has a chapter on the Japanese venture capital industry and has a chapter on the entrepreneur and the venture capitalist as a team so you can have an idea of what to expect once you get that first round of funding. The second book has a chapter on the history of venture capital, listing General Doriot a former U.S. Army Quartermaster as creating the first venture capital firm; American Research and Development Corporation.
www.gm.com coming soon a competitive analysis of the international auto industry as well as an update on the North American International Auto Show http://www.naias.com
MB and MTI's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Maximillian-Bryan-Marcell-Technologies-Internationale-LLC/140988465978339 and click on like! for cyber security and start up tips along with other posts..
www.gm.com Chevy Volt in a Wind Tunnel
plenty of green/clean tech at http://www.naias.com and more in the next update on Ted Gatzaros of Detroit's Greektown, may he rest in peace and Dan Gilbert of Bizdom http://bizdom.com and DVP http://detroitventurepartners.com makes a big investment in Detroit. Also in Detroit new solar panels financed by GE Capital https://www.gogecapital.com/en/contact-us/consumer.html can by seen near midtown on the corner of Second and Brainard; the solar panels were built by Srinergy www.srinergy.com. Both Bizdom and DVP with help from Josh Linkner the President of DVP helps start up companies including one start up company that located from Philadelphia to Detroit. So until the next blog update coming soon. For the top 10 and counting world wide cyber warfare list scroll down past the lady with the binoculars ........
Tragedy in Connecticut - Taking time for what is important
http://www.nfl.com, and NCAA http://www.ncaa.org it all started on the playground....
http://www.ebony.com http://www.nytimes.com http://www.blackenterprise.com http://www.economist.com http://www.thebanker.com
- Ambassador Rice served on the National Security Council and as a Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs in the Clinton Administration.
- The above may seem unimportant to people who do not know, but remember that one of Osama Bin Ladin's biggest strike against the US before 9-11 was in the African Embassy bombings http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/africa/embassy_bombing in Kenya and Tanzania.
- As the war winds down in Afghanistan (Taliban to Meet with Northern Foes http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324001104578163590509546514.html) Al-Qaeda has fled to Africa (Terror Fights Shifts to Africa http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323316804578163724113421726.html) to try to set up new bases of operations and Ambassador Rice has the needed diplomatic skills to work hand in hand with U.S. Africa Command http://www.africom.mil to prevent this from happening. For info on Al Qaeda activity in Africa click on http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323316804578163724113421726.html. To see President Obama's defense of UN Ambassador Rice click on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7gVuw8n00c. To add emphasis on the importance of Africa, Rwanda has recently won a seat as a UN Security Council Council member http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=43320 along with other nations.
One thing the U.S. truly lacked with the Iraq invasion lead by President George W. Bush in 2003 on Iraq was moral authority becasue the diplomatic track was not fully pursued, for evidence read Colin Powell's Soldier, Richard Clarke's Against All Enemies, and George Tenet's At the Center of the Storm all on Amazon www.amazon.com. In case you are a business that would like to help the U.S. with diplomacy click on http://www.facebook.com/pages/Business-for-Diplomatic-Action/143826947828; the U.S. is still recovering image wise from the 2003 Iraq war. In contrast, President Obama has carefully built a case against Iran while using diplomacy and the recent alleged attack on the IAEA http://www.iaea.org by Iran http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/12/05/did-iran-s-cyber-army-hack-into-the-iaea-s-computers.html makes Iran look guilty if diplomacy fails. This leads to our cyber warfare world wide incident list see below
http://www.ebony.com http://www.nytimes.com http://www.blackenterprise.com http://www.economist.com http://www.thebanker.com
http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com http://www.univision.com http://www.earlybird.com
Newsflash: UK Hackers Handcuffed, for more info click on
News Flash: The New York Times http://www.nytimes.com article Iran Shows Video It Says was Made by U.S. Drone http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/08/world/middleeast/iran-tv-shows-video-it-says-came-from-us-drone.html?_r=0 confirming our theory that Iran took control of a U.S. drone when it captured a drone earlier in our top rated incident below back in October 7th, 2011 which may be related to a software virus http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/10/virus-hits-drone-fleet found in the drone fleet; Thanks to Lance of Black Hat and Info Sec for info on the virus.
Other recent threats in our view are the hacking of the U.S. Federal Reserve Bank http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/security-it/us-federal-reserve-computer-system-hacked-20130208-2e2ew.html, and a smart phone game for Android is a virus in disguise so check out apps
before you download them http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/products/story/2012-01-15/pegoraro-tech-tips-android-apps-security/52536228/1; for the Android exploit click on http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/253248/scitech/technology/new-trojan-malware-disguises-itself-as-an-android-game-app. Recent threats to make our list we credit to an article from CFO magazine www.cfo.com titled Into the Data Breach in the October 2012 issue. Those breaches are Zappos 24 million records, University of North Carolina 350,000 records, Mastercard 1.5 million credit cards, for more info click on www.cfo.com and do a search for the article. Finally for the top cyber security incidents worldwide, look below; the FBI, the top cyber cop in the U.S. made a major bust, for more info check out the article Hackers Arrested as One Turns Witness in the Dallas Morning News http://topics.dallasnews.com/article/0gTUctz7QSabZ?q=cyber+monday. Also the hacker incident in England with Rupert Murdoch's media empire seems to be coming to the U.S.; the event alleges that reporters with Murdoch's empire hacked into phones and that Scotland Yard http://content.met.police.uk/Home and other law enforcement officers in England knew about it and were pressured or rewarded to look the other way. Did you know that a major character in the James Bond movie Tomorrow Never Dies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy-fmWJ7oUk may have been based on Mr. Murdoch? The UK has drawn a line in the sand on hacking, see article in USA Today on Britain Unveils Web Surveillance plan www.usatoday.com June 15th, 2012. Also the UK has written a document on Global Cyber-Security Capacity Building for the Budapest Conference on Cyberspace.
Buy Training Today's Youth for Tomorrow's Technology
Tier 5 - Entry level threat.
Tier 4 - Script kiddies
Tier 3 - Denial of Service (connection to internet or major outage)
Tier 2 - Skilled attackers, organized crime, terrorists, and/or state actors
Tier 1 - A zero day threat where vulnerabilities are found in software, custom code is written to create a threat, and/or the threat is undetected and is collecting data and/or waiting to cause damage when signaled or on a certain day. Wayne State University had an excellent seminar on cyber warfare in 2011. There will be a recap of the event from my notes in an upcoming blog.
2. NASDAQ attack – a few months ago there were media reports on a cyber attack on the NASDAQ http://www.nasdaq.com, this is critical infrastructure for the U.S. and world financial markets as NASDAQ is where some key hi-tech companies such as Microsoft and Facebook a key Microsoft partner) http://www.microsoft.com are listed on the stock market http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2011/02/did-nasdaq-hackers-grab-holy-grail-of-insider-information/1
3. Stuxnext Iran Attack – In 2010 a computer worm/virus named Stuxnext attacked a nuclear plant in Iran, the political leadership admitted the attack had slowed down progress at the facility. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/8262853/Stuxnet-virus-attack-Russia-warns-of-Iranian-Chernobyl.html. Iran is a major supplier of oil to China and this has implications in regard to the UN Security Council as China is a permanent member. There have been media reports that the original Stuxnext virus hackers or someone with access to the Stuxnext code have made a new update to the virus, apparently called Flame. Let me introduce you to best expert I know on the Stuxnext virus; he works for Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com and his blog is http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2011/03/30/3416253.aspx I call him Stuxnext Man, for his real name go to his blog and tell me what you think. Recently it has been alleged that Stuxnext and the new virus called Flame were created by the U.S., I say alleged because there has not been an official confirmation of this allegation by an official of the United States. According to the Washington Post http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/defense-officials-worry-about-irans-efforts-to-build-train-militia-to-fight-rebels-in-syria/2012/08/14/da761bb2-e671-11e1-9739-eef99c5fb285_story.html the U.S. Secretary of Defense stated that Iran is helping Syria in it's battle with the Free Syrian Army http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/18/world/meast/syria-unrest/index.html, and a Chinese telecom firm Huawei http://www.huawei.com/en is helping Iran and Syria with secure telecom and internet access in the battle for Syria.
4. Google China network attack – The Wide Area Network of Google http://www.google.com in mainland China was hacked and Google reported the incident to the U.S. government after checking with other U.S. companies based in China and finding they had been attacked also. This was a key moment in cyber warfare as President Obama formulated a more sophisticated cyber warfare doctrine for the U.S. Armed Forces as a result of this attack, and Google actually relocated to Hong Kong, China from mainland China as a result of the attack. This has lead to a greater coordination between the U.S. armed forces and private companies in protecting key critical infrastructure of the U.S. civillian economy. The Google attack and move from mainland China led to Baidu http://www.baidu.com the Chinese version of Google becoming the top search engine in mainland China instead of Google. http://voices.allthingsd.com/20100222/hacking-inquiry-puts-china%e2%80%99s-elite-in-new-light/?mod=ATD_rss. China has long had a very sophisticated IT approach, which led to them building the Great Firewall of China to defend against an asymmetric network attack in China, to prevent attacks such as the attack against Google. A good way to shore up your your defenses are to follow some of the tips in the article http://www.baselinemag.com/c/a/IT-Management/Ensuring-ITs-Survival-301220 in Baseline http://www.baselinemag.com an online and print technology magazine for CIOs based in New York, New York. China has also been a victim of cyber attacks see below....
5. Baidu Iranian Cyber Army Attack – The Chinese search engine Baidu has been attacked by a group called the Iranian Cyber Army. China was allegedly attacked by a group called the Iranian Cyber Army which attacked Baidu http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zhCN&u=http://www.baidu.com/&ei=TeBgT5D1AcuMsAK1o6iWCA&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CDgQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbaidu%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1182%26bih%3D851%26prmd%3Dimvns, China’s most popular search engine http://www.forbes.com/2010/01/13/baidu-cyber-attack-markets-technology-china.html. The Iranian Cyber Army is apparently real, and according to media reports http://gcn.com/articles/2012/04/26/iran-dangerous-cyber-threat-house-hearing.aspx?s=gcndaily_270412 the top cyber threat to the U.S.. Also see the article Tearing Down Iran's Electronic Curtain in the Wall Street Journal http://online.wsj.com/search/term.html?KEYWORDS=Tearing%20Down%20Iran%27s%20Electronic%20Curtain&mod=DNH_S an editorial by Toby Deshowitz and Mark Dubowitz.
This leads to what makes cyber attacks so effective, because attacks can be routed through the computers of businesses, governments, and individuals who may be unaware that the attacks are being launched from their PC networks, governments who are attacked have to do computer forensics analysis before their response or they may strike the wrong target, which may the true attacker’s intent. At this point with the hand of Iran being shown in Syria, Egypt, and Lebanon, it is pretty good guess that Iran is the culprit. Hopefully war does not come, but in case it does the Adam Opel Ampera http://www.opel.com/flash.htm l and it's sister car the Chevy Volt http://www.chevrolet.com/volt can go all electric, all gas, or go electric and when the charge runs out - switch to gas - what you need when you need it at a nice price and this ground breaking technology is the reason that it won the European Car of the Year and once again validates President Obama's decision to save the U.S. auto industry, besides savings the jobs of GM, Chrysler and automotives supplier workers, this ground breaking technology would never have seen the light of day if GM had not been saved.
6. Estonia Denial of Service Attack – The President of Estonia in 2007 at the time of the attack, Toomas Hendrik Ilves gives an interview in Government Executive http://www.govexec.com of how he coped with the first major cyberwarfare battle, to read this tale click on
http://www.govexec.com/magazine/features/2011/08/leading-the-way/34657. This attack is crucial in the understanding of cyber warfare. Estonia was former part of the USSR/Soviet Union, now Russia http://moscow.usembassy.gov that got into a dispute over the price they would pay Russia over natural gas shipped to Europe, and the pipelines that Russia paid for were on Estonia’s soil. To make a long story short, while the payment dispute over natural gas shipped over the pipelines was in progress, Estonia suffered Denial of Service attacks that shut down vital government services and dropped Estonia to it’s knees http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9721429-1.html. This was a key cyber battle because it made Europe aware of it’s vulnerability when states like Estonia go rogue from Russia, and make Europe's natural gas supplies vulnerable. A pipeline attack on the U.S. has been attempted, for more info click on
http://gcn.com/articles/2012/05/08/gas-pipeline-spear-phishing-attacks-us-cert-alert.aspx?s=gcndaily_090512 In light of Isra-el's threat to attack Iran it should be noted in 2007 that Isra-el used a cyber weapon to cripple Syrian air defenses near the building where work on atomic energy/weapons was suspected; more info on this exploit can be found in the August 15th, 2011 issue of Government Executive magazine. More recently Isra-el is using it's Iron Dome weapon to defend itself from incoming rockets, http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gfM6tN9Ezcln67wWA5TMfmEwlR3g?docId=CNG.a10b00714e55c8b9c45182ffe1d2a574.91 this could turn into a wider conflict. Once again some are beating the war drums, this time for a U.S. led war in Syria, this may be a back door attempt to drag the U.S. into a war with Iran, but things are more complicated with Russia supporting Syria in the current civil war, a recent reported Shanghai Alliance http://en.ria.ru/world/20110514/164023393.html between Russian and China along with other countries according to media reports, and if war does breaks out and Russia is involved the U.S. needs to know about UAV drones made in Isra-el that Isra-el is reported to have sold to Russia according to Russian media reports for defensive countermeasures. A proxy war between Russia and the U.S. would be a setback to a peaceful solution to the Iran atomic energy issue. Russia has suggested bringing Iran to the table in the Syrian conflict and maybe this could be a way resolve the Iranian atomic weapons/civillian energy issue. A war with NATO and Syria could drag in Iraq, Iran and Egypt with Egypt being a wild card because for the first time since President Anwar Sadat of Egypt was assasinated Egypt's peace agreement with Isra-el would be in doubt. Former U.S. President James Earl Carter, Menachen Begin and Anwar Sadat won the Nobel Peace Prize http://www.nobelprize.org for the Camp David Accords, and some believe that President Anwar Sadat paid for this agreement that President Hosni Mubarak kept in place since 1979 with his life. For more info on the Camp David Accords click on http://www.jimmycarterlibrary.gov documents/campdavid/accords.phtml. It is believed the group that assasinated President Sadat was linked to the Islamic Brotherhood, and Mohammed Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood has been elected President of Egypt. The Islamic Brotherhood is also the group that Ayman Al Zawari of Al-Quaeda belonged to before joining with Osama Bin Ladin though lately they have pledged to commit to the political process instead of violence in Egypt. The economic key as always in Egypt since it was built is the Suez Canal http://www.suezcanal.gov.eg for a history of the Suez Canal click on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suez_Canal. For anyone who is in a position to effect policy or may deploy to the Gulf if war breaks out with regard to the events in Syria, Egypt or Iran the book China Goes to Sea Maritime Transformation in Comparative Historical Perspective is must reading. The book gives a historical comparison of the developments of deep water navies over time including ancient Iran/Persia, Ancient and modern China, Russia, Imperial Russia and Germany. The book was written by Mr. Lyle J. Goldstein as a joint publication of the China Maritime Studies Institute http://www.usnwc.edu/Research---Gaming/China-Maritime-Studies-Institute.aspx and the Naval Press Institute http://www.usni.org. Any NATO http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/index.htm conflict with Iran, and or Syria will be a naval battle as well as a land and air battle. Russia is sending warships to Syria http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/11/world/middleeast/russia-sends-warships-on-maneuvers-near-syria.html?_r=1&ref=syria. The Kofi Annan (the former UN Secretary General) peace plan has been suspended; a new negotiator from Algeria will try his hand at peace for Syria according to media reports, for more info click on http://www.un.org/apps/news/infocusRel.asp?infocusID=146&Body=Syria&Body1=. Russia has joined the WTO, the World Trade Organization; Russia is the biggest member to join since China, for more info click on http://www.wto.org.
According to recent media reports the battle for Syria has spilled over into Turkey with a recent bombing http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/21/turkey-bomb-pkk-idUSL6E8JL39E20120821. In related news in The Banker http://www.thebanker.com the Banque Du Liban (Lebanon) http://www.bdl.gov.lb stays calm during the current crisis in Syria & Lebanon - in an article by Stephen Timewell published in The Banker 11/01/2011; to subscribe click on http://www.thebanker.com
8. IMF Cyber Attack - http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/world/12imf.html more info later...
9. RSA Security Software compromised - for more details on the cracking of the key part of the U.S. and world wide cyber security infrastructure click on http://aggressivevirusdefense.wordpress.com/2011/04/10/rsa-security-attack-timeline. The September 2011 issue of Vanity Fair with the story by Michael Joseph Gross is the best artice I have read about how RSA technology key fob technology was compromised by cyber attacks, and other cyber attacks that appear to fit the pattern of a state actor probing U.S. cyber defenses for valuable ip and possible future attacks. In case you suspect a cyber attack please contact us so the company can suggest the best ways to collect digital evidence that can stand up in court, and minimize your risk for future attacks. The best way to contact us is to go to Facebook www.facebook.com and do a search for the Maximillian Bryan and Marcell Technologies Internationale business page and send a message to the company. For more info click on http://mbmtinternationale.sharepoint.com; be sure to provide a contact person, phone number, along with the problem that your company is having or email so that the company can follow up with you. Pinpointing the time that the problem started is also helpful. Due to the critical nature of the RSA attack a pilot program was begun by the defense department and it has recently been made permanent, for more info click on an article from the Washington Post http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/pentagon-to-expand-cybersecurity-program-for-defense-contractors/2012/05/11/gIQALhjbHU_story.html?hpid=z4
10. This is not a cyber incident but is a must read for any bank IT executive who needs to know how to protect his network. The article is titled How Wall Street Works with the Feds by Mr. Andrew Conry-Murray in Information Week. For more info go to http://www.informationweek.com; another excellent magazine to read regularly to help keep your IT systems secure is www.cfo.com the website for CFO (Chief Financial Officer) magazine.
11. The FBI http://www.fbi.gov jailed a hacker who found a security flaw in the AT & T http://www.att.com/?WT.srch=1#fbid=6XcuvBGz-Gy website. This flaw revealed the info of over 100,000 iPad users, including e-mails of people who included government officials and Fortune 500 executives. In case you are one of those people please e-mail us and give us your view of what happened and how you felt. For more info on the incident which occurred in June of 2010, and if you want to find out if you are on the list e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. The FBI also uncovered an intrusion on the LAN (Local Area Network)/WAN (Wide Area Network) of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce http://www.uschamber.com/ with alleged links to China. China has denied an official attack against the U.S. Chamber of Commerce for more information on the incident from an article in the Wall Street Journal https://customercenter.wsj.com/public/view/login.html?mg=selfserv-wsj&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcustomercenter.wsj.com%2Fview%2Fhome.html click on http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204058404577110541568535300.html. For video on this attack click on http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204058404577110541568535300.html#articleTabs%3Dvideo
12. Mexican Hackers at war with the Zeta Crime Syndicate -http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/01/world/americas/hackers-challenge-mexican-crime-syndicate.html. One movie that shows the sophistication of crime syndicates in Mexico and Latin America is the movie Clear and Present Danger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNzWYVWfRIc. In a part of the movie, the hero Jack Ryan, played by Harrison Ford (aka Han Solo) of Star Wars fame http://www.starwars.com is researching a reported explosion at the same time as the security chief of a drug cartel is doing the same thing. Jack Ryan working for the U.S., looks through paper files and books, while the security chief of the drug cartel uses sophisticated computer equipment and software to reach the same conclusion that the reported accident was actually a covert action. Clear and Present Danger; allegedly based on some real life incidents from the 1990s and the deceased drug lord Pablo Escobar, is an excellent DVD - to order on Amazon click on http://www.amazon.com. Patriot Games is also a book by famous author Tom Clancy available on Amazon, along with company book Training Today's Youth for Tomorrow's Technology; to order click on http://www.amazon.com/Training-Todays-Youth-Tomorrows-Technology/dp/1441400362
13. Also in Latin America Hugo Chavez is considering a Russian fighter aircraft purchase - http://en.rian.ru/mlitary_news/20120719/174673843.html. The relation to cyber warfare is the following: Avionics - the IT systems for airplanes are some of the most sophisticated IT systems in the world, and besides the USA, the European Union and Japan Russia produces some of the best fighter aircraft in the world with China also clear power in aerospace as well. China has learned from Russia planes it has purchased, doing some reverse engineering and producing some original aerospace technology as well. Also some U.S. Department of Defense computer networks were penetrated in the last few years and information on the IT systems of the top U.S. fighter the JSF-35 was definitely a target during these cyber attacks. More info on the JSF-35 fighter http://www.businessweek.com/videos/2012-12-10/f-35-a-short-history-of-the-costliest-fighter-ever can be seen in a previous blog on the JSF-35 program manager. One top Russian plane in the past was the Mig 25 Foxbat, a movie Russian plane is Firefox, a Clint Eastwood movie where the weapons systems for the plane were
A great book on IT security to order www.amazon.com, for the basics on IT security click on http://www.baselinemag.com/c/a/IT-Management/Ensuring-ITs-Survival-301220/
For advanced concepts on start up companies and for business/tech people who think they have what it takes to create the next big start up company or are just curious, great for MBA students...to order click on www.amazon.com